2 sheets of leaf gelatine
3 large eggs, separated
125g caster sugar
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
150ml double cream
For the strawberries:
200g strawberries, hulled and chopped
60ml elderflower cordial or pressé
- Place the sheets of gelatine in a bowl of cold water to soak.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar with an electric whisk for a few minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Beat with an electric whisk for a few minutes until thick and creamy. Whisk in the lemon rind and juice.
- Remove the gelatine from the water, squeezing out as much water as possible. Stir it into the hot egg yolk mixture until it dissolves. Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool.
- Whisk the cream in a separate bowl until whipped. Fold into the lemon mixture until evenly mixed.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl for five minutes until firm. Gradually and gently fold into the lemon mixture until just incorporated. Divide between serving glasses, then cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least three hours, or overnight if possible.
- Heat the strawberries and elderflower cordial in a small saucepan over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to a simmer, then cook for about 10 minutes until the juice is syrupy and the berries are soft.
- Leave to cool, then spoon over the lemon mousse to serve.
Per serving: 221kcals, 12g fat (6.6g saturated), 26.9g carbs, 24g sugars, 4.1g protein, 1.2g fibre, 0.055g sodium