Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the cheesecake:
For the lemon curd:
For the meringue:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4. Generously coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform tin with cooking spray.
- Add the biscuits to a food processor and blend into crumbs. Add the melted butter and mix until combined.
- Transfer the biscuit mixture into the prepared tin and use your hands to press it evenly into the bottom of the tin and up and against the sides, going a little more than halfway up the sides, sealing the sides and bottom together. Bake the crust until fragrant and just barely starting to brown around the edges, this should take around 10-12 minutes. If the crust starts to bubble up during baking, gently press it down using a spoon. Let the crust cool on a wire rack while you prepare the filling.
- Add the cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, cornflour, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed with the paddle attachment, until smooth. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed until combined. With the mixer on low speed, beat in the eggs, one at a time, waiting until each egg is fully mixed into the batter before adding the next.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust. (It’s okay if it does not fill the crust completely.) Place the tin in a roasting tray that is big enough to hold it. Place the roasting tray into the oven, then pour boiling water into the roasting tray, about halfway up the sides of the springform tin.
- Bake until the top of the cheesecake is just starting to brown and the centre jiggles slightly when moved – approximately 80-90 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake inside with the door cracked open for one hour.
- To make the lemon curd, place the lemon zest and juice in a small saucepan. Add the sugar, egg yolks, egg and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and is the consistency of thin pancake batter – this should take 8-10 minutes. Do not rush this step. Remove from the heat and add the diced butter. Stir with a rubber spatula until fully melted and incorporated.
- Pour the lemon curd through a fine-mesh strainer, directly onto the cheesecake while still warm. Smooth into an even layer if needed. Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least four hours or overnight.
- To make the meringue, place the egg whites in the clean bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add the cream of tartar and beat on medium- high speed until foamy – this should take 1-2 minutes. Increase the speed to high and gradually add the sugar. Beat for 2-3 minutes until the meringue is glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Slide an oven rack about 18cm below your oven broiling element, setting the broiling temperature to high.
- Remove the set cheesecake from the springform tin and dollop the meringue on top of the lemon curd, spreading it to the edges using a rubber spatula to create dramatic peaks and swirls.
- Broil the meringue for about three minutes, until lightly browned. Alternatively, toast the meringue with a kitchen torch. Place the cheesecake on a serving plate and serve immediately.
Per serving: 732kcals, 49.3g fat (29.9g saturated), 68.5g carbs (57g sugars), 8.6g protein, 0.9g fibre, 0.376g sodium
Popular in Cheesecake