Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the base:
For the lemon filling:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 170°C Fan, Gas Mark 5. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat together to butter and Siúcra Icing Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in 235g plain flour and salt until it comes together in a soft ball.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and flatten to an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- For the lemon filling, In a large bowl, whisk the remaining flour, the baking powder and 500g Siúcra Caster Sugar Add 4 large eggs and lemon juice and whisk. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas Mark 4. Remove the biscuit base and pour on the lemon filling. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the filling is set (slightly firm and golden). Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the meringue, separate the remaining 2 eggs. Add the egg whites, 100g caster sugar, the golden syrup and the vanilla extract into a heatproof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Whisk continuously until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is very warm to the touch. Remove from the heat and use an electric whisk to whip into stiff, glossy peaks.
- Pipe or spoon the meringue onto the cooled lemon bar, then use a blow torch to brown the top, or pop under the grill for 30 seconds.
- Cut into 12 bars and serve.
Popular in Traybakes
White chocolate & raspberry cheesecake bars