4 balls of stem ginger in syrup, drained and chopped
200g gluten-free lemon marmalade
Zest of 3 lemons
175g soft light brown sugar
150g golden caster sugar
175g butter, at room temperature,
plus extra for greasing
3 large eggs
175g self-raising gluten-free flour
Generous pinch of nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp cardamom powder
3 tbsp milk
Custard or ice cream
- In a bowl, stir together half of the stem ginger with the lemon marmalade.
- Grease a 1.2L pudding basin. Pour in half of the marmalade mixture.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ginger with the lemon zest and sugars. Add the butter, eggs, flour and dry spices. Stir until smooth, then whisk in the milk. Spoon into the pudding basin and level the top.
- Cover with the lid of the basin, or make a lid from a double layer of parchment paper and secure tightly with a string. Steam the pudding for two hours, then test by inserting a skewer into the middle. If it’s still wet, steam for 10-15 minutes and test again.
- Carefully turn the finished pudding out onto a plate. Serve with custard or ice cream.
Per Serving: 502kcals, 21.3g fat (12.6g saturated), 73g carbs (58.5g sugars), 5.1g protein, 2.5g fibre, 0.173g sodium
Top tip: Decorate this pudding with candied lemons, if you like. Dissolve 250g caster sugar in 250ml water over a low heat. Add two sliced lemons in a single layer and simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.