Butter, for greasing
3 large eggs, separated
2 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons
Pinch of salt
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Grease six ramekins with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks together with the sugar until light and pale. Whisk in the flour. Gradually whisk in the lemon juice, then the lemon zest and milk.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites together with the salt until soft peaks form. Gently fold in to the lemon mixture.
- Divide the batter amongst the six prepared ramekins. Add enough boiling water to the baking dish so that it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed and lightly browned.
- Dust the custard cups with icing sugar and serve slightly warm.
Per serving: 131 kcals, 3.4g fat (1.3g saturated), 21.5g carbs, 19.8g sugar, 4.9g protein, 0.1g fibre, 0.055g sodium