For the sponge:
300g unsalted butter, softened
300g caster sugar
300g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp milk
Zest of 2 lemons
For the filling:
100g lemon curd
300g fresh raspberries
200g icing sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
100g fresh raspberries
Zest of 1 lemon
Dried rose petals (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4. Line three 20cm round cake tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder, milk and lemon zest. Mix until just combined, then pour into the prepared tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In a bowl, gently fold together the mascarpone and lemon curd.
- Place the first sponge onto the cake stand and spread over some of the mascarpone filling. Add some fresh raspberries, then place the second sponge on top and repeat. Finish with the final sponge.
- In a bowl, combine the icing sugar and lemon juice to make a loose icing. Spoon over the top sponge and allow to drizzle down the sides slightly. Top with fresh raspberries, lemon zest and some dried rose petals.
Per Serving 478kcals, 25.4g fat (14.9g saturated), 58.5g carbs (39.1g sugars), 8.1g protein, 2.5g fibre, 0.195g sodium