1 x 5-6kg turkey
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1 lemon, quartered
A few sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary and/or parsley
200g butter, softened
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4.
- Pat the turkey dry with kitchen paper. Place the onion, lemon and herb sprigs inside the cavity of the turkey.
- Gently separate the skin from the breasts using your fingers, then push around 40g
of the softened butter under the skin, being careful not to tear it.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining butter with the lemon zest, chopped rosemary, thyme leaves, salt and black pepper. Rub the skin of the turkey all over with the herb butter.
- Place the bird in a large roasting tin. Roast for 40 minutes per kilo or until completely cooked throughout. Check for doneness by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the meat, ensuring the juices are clear.
- Transfer to a plate, tent loosely with foil and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before carving and serving.
496kcals, 21.8g fat (10.1g saturated), 0.4g carbs (0g sugars), 70.5g protein, 0.2g fibre, 0.47g sodium