Makes approx. 30 biscuits
For the cookies:
170g dark brown sugar
60g unsalted butter, cubed
1 large egg, beaten
Zest of ½ a lemon
1 tbsp lemon juice
300g plain flour
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
For the icing:
100g icing sugar
2 tbsp boiling water
- Combine the honey and dark brown sugar in a large pot over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer and allow the sugar to dissolve, stirring gently.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the butter. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Whisk in the egg, lemon zest and juice.
- In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and spices.
- Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to form a sticky dough. Cover and allow to rest in the fridge for one hour or until completely cold.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6. Line two baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Roll the dough to about 6mm thick, keeping it well-coated in flour as the dough will be sticky.
- Cut the dough into a variety of shapes, using a knife or off-set spatula to lift them onto the prepared baking trays. Place the trays in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow the biscuits to cool slightly on the tray before transferring to a wire rack.
- For the glaze, mix together the icing sugar and the boiling water. Dip one side of the Lebkuchen into the glaze and return to the wire rack to set, icing side up.
112kcals, 1.9g fat (1.1g saturated), 23.2g carbs (15.7g sugars), 1.3g protein, 0.4g fibre, 0.088g sodium