Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6.
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the shallots for 4-5 minutes until golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pot over a medium-high heat. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, cook the lamb until golden brown on all sides.
- Return all of the lamb into the pot. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the red wine, scraping the sticky bits from the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon. Add the beef stock and tomato purée. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently for one hour.
- Add the carrots and fried shallots to the pot and cook for a further 20-30 minutes until the meat is very tender and the carrots are just cooked. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, transfer the mixture into a pie dish. Unroll the pastry over the top and trim away the excess pastry.
- Crimp the edges of the pastry and add a small hole in the centre of the pastry so that steam can escape.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the filling is piping hot throughout and the pastry is golden on top.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and your favourite green vegetables.
Per Serving: 697kcals, 33.4g fat (5.4g saturated), 34.3g carbs (2.4g sugars), 52.6g protein, 1.5g fibre, 0.467g sodium
Popular in Family meals