3tbsp cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp instant coffee powder
60ml vegetable oil
0.5tbsp vanilla extract
1 basic buttercream icing recipe
Black icing pen
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 6 and line two 12-cup mini muffin tins with paper liners. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and coffee powder into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract. Gradually beat into the flour mixture until combined.
- Fill the muffin cups and bake for 12-15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of one cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the basic buttercream icing, then use it to decorate each cupcake, spreading with a warm knife to make a smooth surface.
- Use the black icing pen to make a few concentric circles on top. Drag a cocktail stick from the centre to the edge of each cupcake a few times to connect the circles and make a web pattern. Decorate with a plastic spider.
Per Serving: 221kcals, 7.8g fat (1.9g saturated), 35.7g carbs, 27.9g sugars, 1.9g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.13g sodium