For the pastry cream:
8 egg yolks
1l milk, plus a little extra
Zest of ½ a lemon, grated
75g unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp sugar
1kg ready-made sponge cake, cut into 1cm slices
30ml Amaretto, approx.
For the topping (optional):
Fruit, nuts or chocolate, if desired
- For the pastry cream, use an electric whisk or a stand mixer to whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Add the flour slowly, bit by bit, until fully incorporated.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, heat the milk over a medium heat until bubbles are just beginning to form around the edges. Remove from the heat and drizzle it, bit by bit, into the bowl.
- Pour the whole thing from the bowl into a large saucepan and place over a very gentle heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring while the mixture thickens until it coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon zest, and allow to cool.
- Place the sugar and cocoa in a small pot and place over a medium heat. While stirring, add a little milk, bit by bit, until the mixture becomes a thick but pourable paste.
- Divide the pastry cream between two bowls, with slightly more in one bowl. In the bowl containing slightly less cream, add the chocolate paste and whisk until fully incorporated. Pour the Amaretto into a small bowl.
- Cover the bottom of a large trifle bowl with a thin layer of the plain cream. Make a layer of cake slices, breaking as needed to fit the edges.
- Use a pastry brush to brush over a little Amaretto, then spread over a layer of the chocolate cream.
- Repeat the layers all the way to the top, ending with a layer of plain cream. Top with fruit, nuts or chocolate, as desired.
- Place in the fridge to chill for at least 3-4 hours, preferably overnight. Remove from the fridge about 45 minutes before serving.
Per serving 727kcals, 9.5g fat (4g saturated), 153.9g carbs, 121.4g sugars, 13.1g protein, 2.9g fibre, 0.538g sodium