Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 170 ̊C/150 ̊C fan/gas mark 3.
- Season the short ribs generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Working in batches to avoid crowding the casserole, brown the short ribs on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same casserole dish, cook the carrots, onion and celery for 6-8 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, season and cook for one minute longer.
- Stir in the flour and tomato purée and stir for one minute.
- Add the stout and allow to bubble for 1-2 minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape any sticky bits from the bottom.
- Return the short ribs to the casserole dish and add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary. Add more salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Cover tightly with foil, then add a lid. Place in the oven and braise for 21⁄2-3 hours until the short ribs are falling off the bone.
- Serve the short ribs in shallow bowls with the stout gravy and some creamy mash.
Per Serving: 826kcals, 51.4g fat (15.9g saturated), 27.9g carbs (10g sugars), 49.8g protein, 1.8g fibre, 2.341g sodium
Popular in Irish
Irish coffee affogato by EUROSPAR