1kg floury potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
600ml Avonmore fresh milk
600ml Avonmore double cream
Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt and black pepper
150g Avonmore Freshly Grated Red Cheddar
50g Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Rinse the potatoes under cool water to remove any excess starch.
- Combine the milk, cream, nutmeg, thyme and garlic in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, bring to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat, season and set aside.
- Layer the potatoes into eight ramekins, trimming as needed and pressing them down to make them fit snugly. Pour the milk and cream mixture over each dish.
- In a bowl, combine the two cheeses. Sprinkle evenly over the top of each gratin, then place the ramekins on a baking tray.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top. Check if they’re ready by inserting the tip of a sharp knife — it should slide in easily.
- Allow to stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving 446kcals, 32.6 fat (20.2g saturated), 27.3g carbs, 5g sugars, 13.2g protein, 2.4g fibre, 0.119g sodium
If serving buffet-style, make sure to warn guests that the ramekins may be hot.