½ x 400g tinned refried beans
4 flour tortillas
Vegetable oil, for frying
½ large onion, chopped
2 Jalapeños, deseeded and finely chopped
120g Cheddar, grated
- Mix together the beans and salsa, then spread the mixture on each of the tortillas, leaving a small border.
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion and jalapeños for 3-4 minutes until softened. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a splash of oil in the same pan over a medium-low heat. Add two eggs, cover, and cook for 1½-2 minutes or until the whites just begin to set.
- Carefully flip the eggs and cook to your desired degree of doneness. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Repeat with the remaining eggs, adding extra oil if needed.
- Wipe out the pan with some kitchen paper and place one tortilla in the pan, bean-side up.
- Sprinkle half of the tortilla with one quarter of the onion mixture, then slide one cooked egg on top. Top with one quarter of the cheese, then fold the tortilla over the filling. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown all over.
- Repeat with the remaining three tortillas, then serve immediately.
Note: Mozzarella can be used as an alternative to Cheddar, if you wish.
297kcals, 15.2g fat (4.7g saturated), 21.7g carbs, 1.9g sugars, 19.1g protein, 4.8g fibre, 0.452g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS
To add more veggies, cook 1 deseeded, chopped red pepper with the onion and jalapeños, and serve the quesadillas with a mixed salad on the side