Makes 1 tray (16-25 marshmallows)
30g gelatine powder
400g caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract with seeds
2 egg whites
- 1 Line a 20cm square tin with parchment paper and brush with a little vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- In a jug, heat 125ml of the water to about 50 ̊C. Stir in the gelatine until completely dissolved and store in a warm place.
- In a pot, stir together the caster sugar, golden syrup, vanilla and the remaining 125ml of water over a medium-high heat. Checking with a thermometer, heat to 120 ̊C-130 ̊C; alternatively, check by dropping some of the syrup into cold water to see if it forms a rigid ball.
- Once the mixture has reached the right temperature, whisk in the dissolved gelatine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until thick and fluffy. While the mix is still whisking, stream in the hot liquid slowly; continue whisking until thick but still pourable.
- Pour into the prepared tin and allow to set for eight hours or overnight.
- Once set, cut the marshmallow into cubes and toss in cornflour to stop them from sticking.
Per marshmallow (tray cut into 25 portions): 83kcals, 0.2g fat (0g saturated), 19.7g carbs (16.3g sugars), 1.6g protein, 0.3g fibre, 0.006g sodium