Makes 1 tray (16-25 marshmallows)
To make the marshmallow
30g gelatine powder
400g caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract with seeds
2 egg whites
For the s’mores effect
100g milk chocolate, melted
4 Digestive biscuits, crushed
- 1 Line a 20cm square tin with parchment paper and brush with a little vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- In a jug, heat 125ml of the water to about 50 ̊C. Stir in the gelatine until completely dissolved and store in a warm place.
- In a pot, stir together the caster sugar, golden syrup, vanilla and the remaining 125ml of water over a medium-high heat. Checking with a thermometer, heat to 120 ̊C-130 ̊C; alternatively, check by dropping some of the syrup into cold water to see if it forms a rigid ball.
- Once the mixture has reached the right temperature, whisk in the dissolved gelatine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until thick and fluffy. While the mix is still whisking, stream in the hot liquid slowly; continue whisking until thick but still pourable.
- Pour into the prepared tin and allow to set for eight hours or overnight.
- Once set, cut the marshmallow into cubes and toss in cornflour to stop them from sticking.
- Using a piping bag, drizzle the tops of the marshmallows with chocolate and sprinkle on the crushed Digestives. Alternatively, dip half of each marshmallow in melted chocolate and sprinkle on crushed Digestives. Allow the chocolate to set in the fridge and serve.
Per marshmallow (tray cut into 25 portions): 83kcals, 0.2g fat (0g saturated), 19.7g carbs (16.3g sugars), 1.6g protein, 0.3g fibre, 0.006g sodium