Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the topping:
- Combine the yeast with the milk and one tablespoon of the sugar in a small bowl, stirring until the yeast has dissolved. Cover and leave to stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Sift the flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, salt and remaining sugar into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until combined.
- Stir in the sultanas, mixed peel and egg until incorporated. Stir in the yeast mixture and just enough water to bring the mixture together into a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface dusted with flour and knead for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel or cling film and leave to rise in a warm spot for about one hour or until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough and divide into about 18-20 balls. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and leave to rise again for about 20 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Whisk together the flour and syrup for the topping until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag, or into a plastic bag with a small corner snipped off. Pipe a cross onto the top of each bun.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden. Serve warm.
Per Serving: 173kcals, 4g fat (2.3g saturated), 29.9g carbs, 5.1g sugars, 4g protein, 1g fibre, 0.153g sodium
Sweet thingsEasterBreakfast & BrunchTraybakesLow-fatSpecial OccasionsBreadAfternoon teaBakingMake it Healthy
Popular in Easter
Gluten-free chocolate and honeycomb mousse by EUROSPAR