300g caster sugar
Zest of ½ an orange
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
2 x 270g packets (12 sheets) of filo pastry
200g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and lightly grease a 25x40cm shallow baking tin with melted butter.
- Combine the sugar, honey and orange zest in a small saucepan with 300ml of water. Heat over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by about half. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Place the walnuts, almonds and pistachios into a food processor and pulse until coarse. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in the cinnamon and cloves.
- Lay one sheet of filo into the tin, keeping the rest covered with a clean, damp tea towel. Use a pastry brush to spread a thin, even layer of melted butter over the sheet, then repeat until there are four sheets layered together.
- Scatter over half of the nut mixture, then repeat with another four layers of filo.
- Add the remaining nuts and a final four layers of filo. Spread a generous layer of butter over the top, then use a long, sharp knife to cut a criss cross pattern into the pastry, making sure it goes all the way through to the bottom.
- Bake the baklava for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the baked baklava from the oven and spoon half the cooled syrup over the top. Leave for five minutes, then spoon over the remaining syrup. Leave to cool before serving.
Per serving 545kcals, 27.9g fat (9.7g saturated), 69.8g carbs, 36.8g sugars, 9.7g protein, 4g fibre, 0.142g sodium.