For the waffles:
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp salt
Butter, for cooking
For the blackberry syrup:
120g caster sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
300g blackberries, plus extra to serve
- Combine the sugar and water for the syrup in a saucepan over a medium-low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil and simmer until slightly reduced.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and blackberries and simmer for another 2-3 minutes until they have softened, breaking up any large chunks with the back of a fork.
- Remove from the heat and press the mixture through a sieve. Discard any pulp and set the syrup aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and milk in a small bowl, then stir into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Heat a waffle maker and add a pat of butter. When the butter is foaming, add a ladel full of batter. Close the waffle maker and cook it for about 3-4 minutes, or until it stops smoking.
- Serve hot with whipped cream, blackberry syrup and fresh blackberries.
Per Serving: 347kcals, 7.9g fat (4.1g saturated), 61.1g carbs (26.3g sugars), 9.6g protein, 3.8g fibre, 0.285g sodium
Be sure not to over-mix the batter in Step 5; over-mixing results in denser, heavier waffles.
Store leftover waffles in the fridge or freezer — just reheat them in the toaster!