Makes about 24
For the dough:
630g plain flour
1 tsp salt
3 large eggs
110g butter, softened
For the filling:
4 medium potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 onions, chopped
140g cream cheese, softened
Salt and black pepper
Butter, for cooking
Fresh parsley, chopped
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt. Pulse to blend.
- Add the water, eggs and butter; cover and pulse until dough forms a ball, adding an additional one or two tablespoons of water or flour if needed. Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- For the filling, melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Cook the onions for 6-8 minutes until very soft. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan over a very low heat. Allow to steam dry, shaking the pan every 10 seconds or so.
- Using a potato ricer or masher, mash the potatoes until very smooth. Transfer into a large bowl. Stir in the cream cheese, cooled onions and some salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Divide the rested dough into four equal parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 1⁄4cm thick. Use a floured 8cm biscuit cutter to cut out circles, re-rolling the excess as needed.
- Place two teaspoons of filling in the centre of each circle. Moisten the edges with water, then fold in half over the filling and press the edges to seal. Repeat with all of the remaining dough and filling.
- Bring a large casserole dish of water to a boil over a high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, cook the pierogi for 1-2 minutes or until they float to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a wire rack.
- To serve, melt a knob of butter in a large pan and cook small batches of pierogi until lightly browned and heated through. Scatter with chopped fresh parsley.
Per pierog (per serving): 195kcals, 7.7g fat (4.5g saturated), 26.7g carbs (0.9g sugars), 4.7g protein, 1.8g bre, 0.179g sodium