Makes 1 large loaf
Vegetable oil or butter, for greasing
1 egg, beaten
350g coarse wholemeal flour
75g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
30g porridge oats, plus extra for sprinkling
20g milled flaxseed (if you don’t have flaxseed, just substitute with extra oats)
- Preheat the oven to 170 ̊C/150 ̊C fan/gas mark 3. Grease a 900g loaf tin with oil or butter.
- In a large jug, mix together the Guinness, buttermilk, egg and honey. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir together until completely combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the loaf tin. Spread it out evenly with a spatula and sprinkle some oats over the top.
- Bake for one hour, then remove the bread from the tin. Return the bread to the oven for 15 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before slicing. Spread with softened butter and top with Irish smoked salmon for a simple and luxurious starter or snack.
160kcals, 2g fat (0.3g saturated), 28.6g carbs (3.4g sugars), 6.2g protein, 3.6g fibre, 0.804g sodium
Check out some of the amazing bread recipes here.