160g kale, stalks removed, finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
100ml double cream
120g Gruyère, grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and black pepper
8 slices of sourdough
120g Mozzarella, grated
Wicklow Wolf Wildfire Hoppy Red Ale, chilled
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the kale and blanch for five minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain well and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat 20g of the butter in a large pan over a high heat and cook the spring onions and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the cream, Gruyère and mustard and stir together into a thick sauce. Season with salt and plenty of black pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool a little.
- Use the remaining butter to spread over one side of each sourdough slice. Build sandwiches layering the cheesy sauce, the kale and the grated Mozzarella, with the buttered sides of the bread on the outside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Cook the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes per side until the sourdough is golden and crisp and the cheese sauce is melted and mouthwatering. Serve immediately with Wicklow Wolf Wildfire Hoppy Red Ale, some pickled gherkins and plenty of napkins.
Per toastie 648kcals, 42.7g fat (25.5g saturated), 43.7g carbs (0.5g sugars), 23.6g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.914g sodium