1 large courgette, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 onions, chopped
250g button mushrooms, chopped
2 peppers, deseeded and chopped
4handfuls of frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp dried Thyme
Salt and black pepper
500ml tomato and basil pasta sauce
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
3 garlic cloves, crushed
30g Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the cauliflower for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the onions, mushrooms, peppers and spinach together for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the tomato purée and thyme, then season with salt and pepper. Set the mixture aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and garlic together in a small pan.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor, reserving some of the cooking water. Add the melted garlic butter, cream and 60ml of the cauliflower cooking water. Whizz until smooth.
- Layer some of the cauliflower sauce into a 20cm square baking dish. Add a layer of courgette slices, followed by some tomato sauce and some of the cooked vegetables. Repeat these layers to the top of the dish.
- Top with cheese and bake for 25 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Per serving: 290kcals, 15.7g fat (8.4g saturated), 30.8g carbs, 17g sugars, 10.7g protein, 8.3g fibre, 0.766g sodium
Dairy-free? Simply substitute the Parmesan with nutritional yeast, or leave it out altogether.
3½ portions of vegetables in each portion!