For the filling:
250g apples such as Golden Delicious or Pink Lady, finely chopped, skin on
250ml apple juice, not from concentrate
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp vanilla extract
Zest of ½ an orange
Splash of brandy (optional)
For the pastry:
500g ground almonds, plus extra for dusting
4 tbsp honey
60ml melted butter, plus extra to grease
2 tsp vanilla extract
- First, make the filling. In a large pot, combine the apples, raisins and cranberries.
Add the juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and zest.
- Cover the pot and simmer over a gentle heat for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Add more apple juice if needed to keep moist, then simmer for another 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- For the pastry, first preheat the oven to 150˚C/130˚C fan/gas mark 2.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, honey, butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix by hand until a soft dough is formed, adding a splash or two of water if needed.
- Roll the pastry out between two sheets of parchment paper and use a pastry cutter to cut into circles large enough to cover the base and sides of your muffin tin cups.
- Lightly grease the muffin tin cups with butter and then dust with ground almonds to prevent sticking. Press one pastry circle into each, making sure the base and sides are covered. Fill each muffin tin hole with one tablespoon of the filling.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry and cut out into small stars. Arrange these over the tops of the mince pies.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Cool completely before turning out of the tin.
Per Serving 218kcals, 15.3g fat (2.6g saturated), 17.5g carbs, 11.1g sugars, 6.1g protein, 3.8g fibre, 0.024g sodium