Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the sponge:
For the sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm square tin and line with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the sponge ingredients except for the milk. Whisk until combined, then gradually pour in the milk, whisking well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sponge has risen and is firm and slightly springy to the touch. Use a skewer to poke holes into the top of the sponge
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Place over a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to cook the sauce until it thickens and is a little darker in colour.
- Pour half of the sauce over the sponge, reserving the rest for serving. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into squares.
- Serve the cake with the extra sauce and some cream or ice cream.
Note: Ice cream can be used as an alternative to cream, if you wish.
Per serving: 513kcals, 29.1g fat (17.8g saturated), 60.6g carbs (36.8g sugars), 6.2g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.394g sodium