Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4. Line two 20cm cake tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- To make the sponge, place all of the ingredients except for the boiling water into a large bowl. Beat together until the mixture is just combined.
- Add the boiling water, a little at a time, mixing and scraping down the sides after each addition.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and unsalted butter until smooth.
- To decorate the cake, place the first sponge layer on a cake stand or serving plate.
- Spread over half of the buttercream and add the next sponge on top.
- Spoon the remaining buttercream into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe swirls of buttercream around the top edge of the cake.
- Decorate the cake with some grated chocolate or chocolate sprinkles.
Popular in Gluten-free
Gluten-free chocolate and honeycomb mousse by EUROSPAR