For the cupcakes:
115g unsalted butter, softened
100g dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
170g self-raising flour
1⁄4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp ground nutmeg
1⁄4 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ginger
For the buttercream:
400g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 tsp ground cinnamon
Mini gingerbread men
A sprig of rosemary Cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the remaining cupcake ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake cases to about two-thirds full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool fully.
- In a large bowl, beat together all of the ingredients for the buttercream until smooth. Add a splash of milk if the icing is too thick.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with your nozzle of choice and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
- To decorate, place a mini gingerbread man into each cupcake and add a little sprig of rosemary and a cranberry onto each.
452kcals, 22.1g fat (13.8g saturated), 62.8g carbs (48.3g sugars), 2.6g protein, 0.7g fibre, 0.22g sodium