240g plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cloves
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g light brown sugar
100g butter, melted
3 tbsp crystallised ginger, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
70g butter, at room temperature
150g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
180g cream cheese, at room temperature
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk the flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, salt, cloves and bicarbonate of soda in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the brown sugar, butter, treacle and crystallised ginger in separate large bowl until combined. Whisk in the egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture until everything is just combined.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Roll tablespoon-sized amounts of dough into balls. Place, spaced well apart, on the baking trays and bake for 11-13 minutes until puffed and just set. Leave to cool slightly on the trays, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar for the filling with an electric mixer for two minutes until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the cream cheese until combined. Beat in the vanilla.
- Pipe the filling onto the flat side of half of the biscuits. Top with the remaining biscuits and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Per Serving: 186kcals, 8.7g fat (5.4g saturated), 25.6g carbs, 16.6g sugars, 2g protein, 0.4g fibre, 0.161g sodium