280ml milk, plus 4 tsp
220g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
500g strong flour, plus extra for dusting
3 cardamom pods, seeds removed and finely crushed
1⁄2 tsp fine salt
7g dried yeast
1 egg, beaten
1-2 tsp sunflower oil, for greasing
170g light brown sugar
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the icing:
65g icing sugar
3 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Gently warm the 280ml of milk and 30g of butter in a small saucepan until the butter has just melted.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, crushed cardamom seeds, salt and yeast, then make a well in the centre. Add the milk mixture and the beaten egg.
- Mix until a dough forms, then tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough is smooth and stretchy (or, beat in a free-standing mixer with a dough hook attachment).
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil. Add the dough, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for one hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Mix the remaining butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until well combined; set aside.
- Line the bottom of a 20cm round springform tin with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides with melted butter.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to knock the air out.
- Roll the dough to a 40 x 30cm rectangle. Spread over the cinnamon butter and sprinkle with the sultanas.
- Cut the dough into four strips along the longest side. Roll one strip into a spiral, like a rose shape. Attach the second strip to the end of the first, then roll the second strip around the first spiral. Repeat with the next two strips until you have a large spiral.
- Transfer the dough to the cake tin and loosely cover with cling film. Leave to rise for another 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5. Place a baking tray inside to heat.
- Place the tin onto the hot tray and bake for 60-70 minutes, loosely covering with foil after 30 minutes.
- Just before you remove the bun from the oven, mix the icing sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Once the roll is baked, spread the icing over the top with the back of a spoon.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then transfer to a plate and slice into wedges to serve.
Per serving: 391kcals, 16.9g fat (10g saturated), 54.8g carbs, 21.3g sugars, 5.8g protein, 2.1g fibre, 0.127g sodium