2 x 7g sachets of active dry yeast
420ml warm water
440g white flour
60g whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
4½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
6 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
4 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
Sea salt flakes
- In a bowl or measuring jug, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours and salt. Add the yeast mixture and two tablespoons of the olive oil. Mix with a sturdy spoon until as smooth as possible. Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Add about two teaspoons of olive oil to a large bowl. Add the ball of dough and turn to coated on all sides. Cover with a clean tea towel and place it in a warm place for two hours until doubled in size.
- Push your fist gently but firmly into the centre of the dough to knock any air out, kneading it for 1-2 minutes.
- Drizzle about one teaspoon of olive oil onto a large baking tray and rub it all over. Place the dough on the baking tray, using your fingertips to stretch the dough gently so that it covers the bottom of the tray; it may not reach all the way to the edges. Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place to rest for 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 230˚C/210˚C fan/gas mark 8 with a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Sprinkle the rosemary and garlic evenly over the surface of the focaccia. Poke your fingertips into the dough all over to make dimples. Drizzle 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil all over the loaf, letting the oil pool in the dimples. Sprinkle the loaf with sea salt flakes.
- Place in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, checking after 15; the focaccia is ready when it’s golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
Per serving: 301kcals, 8.7g fat (1.3g saturated), 49g carbs, 0g sugars, 6.6g protein, 2.2g fibre, 0.874g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
Adapt this recipe to your taste buy adding toppings other than garlic and rosemary. Try different herbs, sliced olives, sun-dried tomatoes, grated cheese or crispy bacon pieces.