1 x 1.4kg whole chicken
150g garlic and herb soft cheese
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Bunch of chives, snipped
Handful of fresh parsley , finely chopped
Juice of ½ a lemon
Salt and black pepper
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 45 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5.
- In a bowl, combine the soft cheese, garlic, chives, parsley, lemon juice and some salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken in a roasting tin or baking dish.
- Push the squeezed-out lemon half inside the cavity of the chicken. At the top of the cavity, gently use your fingers to separate the skin from the chicken breast and push spread two-thirds of the cheese mixture underneath in a thick, even layer. Rub the top and sides of the chicken with the remaining cheese mixture and season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast for one hour and 20 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a knife, basting halfway through.
- Transfer to a plate, tent loosely with foil and rest for 20 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potato, spooning over the pan juices, and some green vegetables.
Per Serving: 492kcals, 29.6g fat (14.9g saturated), 2.7g carbs, 0.3g sugars, 52.9g protein, 0.2g fibre, 0.417g sodium