For the cupcakes:
100g dark chocolate
125g butter, softened
250g brown sugar
220g self-raising flour
75g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
For the buttercream icing:
600g icing sugar, sifted
300g butter, at room temperature
Black writing icing
Smarties or M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cases. Combine the chocolate and water in a small saucepan over a low heat. Cook, stirring, for five minutes or until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and brown sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition, until just combined.
- Add the flours and cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cases and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Beat the icing sugar and butter for the icing until light and fluffy. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and use it to ice the cupcakes, or just spoon it onto the top.
- Use the black writing icing to make a swirl around the buttercream, then dot the M&Ms or Smarties around the swirl to make the lights.
Per Serving 683kcals, 32.9g fat (20.5g saturated), 95.4g carbs, 73.7g sugars, 5.3g protein, 1.7g fibre, 0.233g sodium