For the chicken:
50ml Buffalo sauce
1 large egg
4 chicken fillets
180g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
Vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
For the Buffalo slaw:
100g Greek yoghurt
50g Buffalo sauce
Salt and black pepper
200g cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, grated
4 brioche buns, lightly toasted
Pickled gherkins, sliced (optional)
Crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- In a sealable plastic bag or glass bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, Buffalo sauce and egg.
- Place the chicken fillets between two sheets of cling film and pound with a rolling pin until they are of an even thickness. Add to the marinade and place in the fridge to marinate for 4-6 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw. In a large bowl, whisk together the yoghurt and Buffalo sauce. Season to taste. Add the shredded cabbage and carrots and stir to combine.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornflour, baking powder, salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Pour vegetable or peanut oil into a large pan to a depth of 2cm.
- Shake excess marinade from the chicken pieces. Working 1-2 at a time to avoid crowding the pan, turn each piece to coat in the flour mixture and add to the hot oil. Fry for five minutes, then flip over and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Onto the toasted brioche buns, pile some shredded lettuce and add the fried chicken. Top with sliced gherkins and crumbled blue cheese, if desired, and then pile on some Buffalo slaw and sandwich together with the top buns. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 864kcals, 31.2g fat (8.6g saturated), 85g carbs (11.6g sugars), 58.5g protein, 4.9g fibre, 0.937g sodium