Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan over a medium-low heat. Add the onions and stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar, one teaspoon of salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Cook for 40 minutes, uncovered and stirring every few minutes, until deeply browned. Turn the heat down if they begin to burn or stick to the pan.
- Add the flour to the onions and cook for one minute, stirring.
- Add the hot stock and bring to a boil, using a wooden spoon to scrape any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the wine and thyme. Lower the heat and partially cover the pan. Cook gently over a low heat for at one hour or until slightly reduced.
- Turn the grill on to a high heat and toast the slices of baguette on both sides.
- Ladle the soup into heatproof bowls. Put a slice of toast on top of each bowl of soup and cover with the Gruyère. Place under the grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Per Serving: 278kcals, 17.1g fat (9.4g saturated), 17.5g carbs, 6.9g sugars, 12.1g protein, 3.4g fibre, 0.306g sodium
Popular in Soup
Super creamy chowder