3 large leeks, trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
Salt and black pepper
950ml chicken or vegetable stock
Juice of ½ a lemon
4 x 1cm thick slices of baguette, toasted
100g Gruyère, grated
Fresh chives, snipped, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat.
- Add leeks and a pinch of salt. Cook for 15 minutes until very soft but not browned.
- Add the stock and some black pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in the lemon juice, then remove from the heat. Season to taste.
- Turn the grill on to a high heat.
- Ladle into four heatproof serving bowls. Place one slice of the toasted bread on top of each serving, pressing it down so that the underside is sitting in the soup. Scatter the Gruyère evenly over the toasts.
- Place bowls under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Scatter over some snipped chives, if desired, and serve immediately.
Per serving 325kcals, 15.7g fat (9g saturated), 33g carbs (4.6g sugars), 14g protein, 2.2g fibre, 1.208g sodium