For the sauce:
2 tbsp vegetable or rapeseed oil
2 tbsp gluten-free flour
4 tbsp chilli powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp oregano
500ml gluten-free chicken stock
For the enchiladas:
4 chicken fillets, cut into quarters
1 x 25g pack of taco spice mix
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1-2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
200g soft cream cheese
Salt and black pepper
1 x 400g tin of black or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
8 large corn tortillas
200g Cheddar, grated
Fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add flour and stir for one minute. Stir in the chilli powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin and oregano.
- Gradually add in the stock, whisking constantly to remove lumps. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until thick.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a simmer and add the chicken fillets and taco spice. Simmer the chicken for 45 minutes until tender, then remove and shred with two forks.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and coat a 23 x 33cm baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and red pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chilli(es) and cook for two minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, stir the onion mixture together with the shredded chicken, the soft cream cheese and 150g of the Cheddar. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, lay a tortilla on a chopping board. Spread two tablespoons of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Add some beans in a line down the middle of the tortilla, then add one eighth of the cheesy chicken mixture. Roll up the tortilla and place, seam-side down, in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Spread the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas, and scatter with the remaining Cheddar.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, garnished with chopped fresh coriander if desired.
Per serving: 918kcals, 45.8g fat (18.4g saturated), 59.2g carbs, 5.6g sugars, 67.1g protein, 14g fibre, 1.993g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
Use one deseeded chilli for mild heat, or more if you like it spicy.