200ml strong black coffee
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp vodka
4 tbsp coffee liqueur
300ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
½ tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp instant espresso coffee powder
150g sponge fingers
30g dark chocolate
Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Mix the black coffee, brown sugar, vodka and three tablespoons of the coffee liqueur in a shallow bowl.
- Mix the mascarpone in a separate bowl for two minutes, then beat in the double cream, icing sugar and vanilla until it forms soft peaks.
- Spoon out one-third of the cream into another bowl. Mix the coffee powder with the rest of the liqueur and stir in to make a coffee cream.
- Dip the sponge fingers into the vodka-coffee mixture, then arrange into trifle or martini glasses, breaking to fit if needed.
- Spoon over some plain cream, then finely grate over a generous layer of dark chocolate. Layer on more soaked sponge fingers, then spoon over the coffee cream and another layer of grated chocolate.
- Chill for at least two hours until ready to serve. Dust with cocoa powder to finish.
Per Serving: 577kcals, 37.5g fat (22.8g saturated), 43.2g carbs (9.2g sugars), 11.3g protein, 0.4g fibre, 0.084g sodium