1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
½ tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp white vinegar
100g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the berry sauce:
300ml whipped cream
Fresh berries, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 120˚C/100˚C fan/gas mark ½. Cut two 30cm lengths of parchment paper. Use a pencil to draw three 8cm rounds spaced well apart on each sheet. Line two large baking trays with the parchment paper, marked-side down.
- Drain the chickpeas over a bowl to reserve the liquid. Transfer the chickpeas to a container and refrigerate for another use.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 180ml of the chickpea liquid for five minutes or until the mixture is white and foamy and soft peaks form.
- Add the cream of tartar and vinegar and beat until combined.
- Gradually beat in the icing sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy. Beat in the vanilla.
- Spoon half of the mixture into a piping bag, or a plastic bag with a corner snipped off. Pipe onto the circles to form discs, then add another layer of meringue on top of each.
- Use the back of a teaspoon to make a small indent into the top of each meringue.
- Bake for two hours or until just firm to the touch. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool inside for 30 minutes with the door closed.
- Crack the door open slightly and leave the meringues to cool completely with the oven door ajar.
- Serve each with whipped cream and fresh berries.
Per serving: 296 kcals, 17g fat (10g saturated), 29.2g carbs, 16.5g sugars, 5.5g protein, 0g fibre, 0.032g sodium