1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion
1 small leek, chopped
100g streaky bacon, chopped (optional)
1 tbsp plain flour
500ml fish stock
225g new potatoes
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper
320g pack of fish pie mix (e.g. salmon, haddock and smoked haddock)
4 tbsp cream
250g cooked prawns
Fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion, leek and bacon, if using. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the bacon is cooked. Stir in the flour and cook for a further two minutes.
- Pour in the fish stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the potatoes, cover and simmer for about 12 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the cayenne pepper and some seasoning, then stir in the milk.
- Tip the fish pie mix into the pan and simmer gently for five minutes.
- Add the cream and prawns and simmer for a minute to heat through. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with brown bread.
Per serving: 355kcals, 11.7g fat (2.6g saturated), 22.3g carbs, 6.9g sugars, 40.1g protein, 2.7g fibre, 0.433g sodium
For a greater variety, you could use 250g cooked mixed shellfish in place of the prawns.