Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the filling:
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan and heat until lukewarm. Add the butter, swirling the saucepan every now and then to encourage the butter to melt. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Fit your mixer with a dough hook. Combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add the milk and butter mixture followed by the egg, and vanilla extract. Mix on a low speed for approximately two minutes, until the dough comes together. Increase the speed to medium and mix for 8-10 minutes until you have a smooth, elastic dough that no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Add the white chocolate chips and fudge pieces and mix until well distributed throughout the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and using your hands, roll it into a ball. Place it in a large clean bowl, lightly greased with oil. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave somewhere warm for an hour, or until it’s doubled in size.
- To prepare the filling, add the caramel, brown sugar, cinnamon and mixed spice to a small bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knock out the air by pressing your fist into the centre. Stretch it into a rough rectangle shape. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a larger rectangle, roughly about 40x50cm, with the longer edge facing you.
- Spread the filling over 2⁄3 of the dough, leaving 1⁄3 of the dough nearest to you uncovered. Fold the uncovered part of the rectangle towards the middle, then fold the other side of the dough on top of that. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough and stretch it out a bit.
- Divide the rectangle into three equal pieces, horizontally. Next, use a knife or a pizza cutter to cut each piece into three strands,leaving 1cm at the top of each uncut. Plait the three strands together. Repeat with the remaining strips.
- Lightly grease a 10-inch round springform tin, then transfer the plaits into it. Cover and allow to prove for one hour, or until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C /150°C fan/gas mark 4. Bake on the middle shelf for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and brush with caramel to glaze. Allow to cool only for a minute or so, then transfer onto a cooling rack. Drizzle with caramel and icing and serve warm.
Per serving: 341kcals, 8.3g fat (4.7g saturated), 61.1g carbs (24.1g sugars), 7.6g protein, 1.5g fibre, 0.010g sodium
Popular in Traybakes
Rum & pistachio chocolate fudge