Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the salted bacon caramel:
For the brownies:
- Place a small saucepan over a medium heat and cook the rashers until crisp. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the cream to the fat in the pan, stir to combine and allow to cool.
- In a larger pan, heat the sugar over a medium heat until the mixture is liquid. Avoid the urge to stir, instead swirling the pan occasionally.
- When the sugar is liquid and a deep amber colour, remove from the heat, add the butter and the cooled bacon cream and stir until the butter is melted. Add the chopped bacon and let the mixture cool thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Line a 20cm square tin with parchment paper and grease with butter.
- Set a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, ensuring that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Add the butter and chocolate and allow to melt, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Sift in the cocoa and whisk until smooth, then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the sugar and vanilla, then add the flour and stir until just combined.
- Transfer half of the batter into the prepared tin, then dollop over about half of the bacon caramel. Spread the remaining batter over the top, then spoon over the remaining caramel. Use a skewer to swirl gently.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until just barely set. Allow to cool in the tin, then slice into nine brownies and enjoy.
Popular in Irish
Lemon sole with dillisk butter