Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the apple butter:
For each toastie:
- Place the apples into a large casserole dish with a lid. Place over a low heat.
- Add the butter, sugar, salt, allspice and cinnamon. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until you see the butter and sugar begin to melt and turn a deep brown colour, coating the apples.
- Add the water and stir again, making sure that nothing is sticking to the bottom.
- Cover with the lid and cook over a low heat for 4-6 hours, stirring about once an hour to break up the apples as they soften.
- The apple butter is ready when it’s fully softened and resembles apple sauce. If you'd like it to be a little thicker, take the lid off and simmer over a very low heat until reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the apple butter to a bowl and allow to cool.
- For the toastie, gently slice a croissant in half. Place half of the Brie on the bottom and top with 1-2 tablespoons of apple butter and the ham. Spread the mustard sparingly over the ham and place the remaining Brie on top. Season with black pepper. Close over the top half of the croissant and press down gently.
- Heat a knob of butter in a small pan over a medium-high heat. Add the sandwich and turn the heat to medium-low. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until the cheese has melted and the croissant is lightly crispy and golden brown.
- Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes, then serve with a handful of rocket on the side.
Per Serving: 626kcals, 36.5g fat (22.1g saturated), 43g carbs, 26.1g sugars, 33.2g protein, 2.9g fibre, 1.361g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS: Change up the cheese and bread to your own preference — this is fantastic with Gruyère, blue cheese or a strong, mature white Cheddar, while ciabatta, focaccia, sourdough or an onion bagel would work well.