Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Remove the tough outer layers from the lemongrass. Finely grate the bottom half of the stalk, discarding the rest.
- In a food processor, combine the grated lemongrass with the shallot, garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, turmeric and two tablespoons of water and whizz together until a paste forms, adding an extra splash or two of water if needed.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes, skin side down, until the skin is lightly browned and crisp. Transfer to a plate.
- In the fat left in the pan, cook the spice paste for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until very fragrant and slightly darkened.
- Add the cardamom, star anise, coconut milk and brown sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and cook for 45 minutes, turning pieces occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan often, until the chicken is tender and cooked throughout.
- Toast the shredded coconut in a small dry pan over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, tossing occasionally, until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Place the chicken pieces on serving plates and drizzle with any liquid left in the pan. Top with the toasted coconut and some fresh coriander and serve with brown rice.
Per serving: 561kcals, 37.9g fat (27g saturated), 10.7g carbs, 4.2g sugars, 45.9g protein, 2.9g fibre, 0.145g sodium
Popular in Chicken
Easy fried chicken and asian slaw