Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the béchamel:
- To make the béchamel, melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for three minutes, still whisking, until incorporated.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring until smooth. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Whisk in the mustard and nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spread the bread slices with the béchamel, making sure to spread it all the way to the edges.
- Place four slices of bread, béchamel side-up, on the baking sheet. Top with the ham and half of the cheese.
- Top with the remaining slices of bread, béchamel side-up, then top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with herbes de Provence.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbling. Slice the sandwiches and serve immediately.
Per Serving 387kcals, 25.6g fat (14.1g saturated), 23g carbs, 5.9g sugars, 17.1g protein, 5.9g sugars, 1.7g fibre, 0.594g sodium
For another way to make béchamel, melt the butter in a pan. Mix the flour and milk together, then pour into the pan and stir until thickened.