1 tbsp unsalted butter
1½ tbsp all-purpose flour
230ml hot milk
Salt and black pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
200g Gruyère, grated
8 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed, lightly toasted
4 slices baked ham
4 large eggs, fried, yolks still runny
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C/gas mark 6.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over a low heat and add the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat and add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, half of the Gruyère and the Parmesan. Whisk together and set aside.
- Lightly spread half of the toasted breads with mustard, add a slice of ham to each, and sprinkle with half of the remaining Gruyè Top with another piece of toasted bread.
- Slather the tops of the sandwiches with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the last of the Gruyère, and bake the sandwiches for five minutes.
- Turn the grill to a high heat and grill the tops of the sandwiches for 3-5 minutes, or until the tops are bubbling and golden.
- Serve the sandwiches topped with soft-fried eggs.
453kcals, 25.6g fat (13.4g saturated), 29.9g carbs, 6g sugars, 26.2g protein, 1.2g fibre, 0.9g sodium