100g fine cornmeal
50g plain flour
Large pinch of paprika
Large pinch of turmeric
½ tsp salt
Pinch of black pepper
A few saffron threads, soaked in 2
tbsp hot water
2 red onions
30g pine nuts
500g small courgettes
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp fresh marjoram, chopped
80g Cratloe Hills Cheep’s Cheese, coarsely grated
250g sun-gold tomatoes, halved
1 fresh green chilli, thinly sliced
1 tbsp small capers, rinsed
1. Sift the flours, paprika, turmeric salt and pepper into a mixing bowl.
2. Beat the egg and milk together briefly, then add the saffron water. Whisk this into the flour mixture to create a smooth batter. Stir in the sweetcorn and set aside.
3. Heat a 20cm crêpe pan over a medium heat. Add the batter and swirl to coat. Cook for a few minutes per side until lightly coloured on both sides. Stir the batter well before each pouring, as the corn tends to sink in the batter.
4. Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 4.
5. Toss the red onions with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt in an oven dish. Roast for 15 minutes until the onions are browned. Add the pine nuts for the last five minutes of roasting.
6. Slice the courgettes in half lengthways and half again across, then slice them into sticks about 5mm thick.
7. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a wide, heavy pan over a medium heat. Sauté the
courgette, garlic and marjoram, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes.
8. Stir in the onion and pine nuts, then remove from the heat to cool.
9. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
10. Place a pancake on a work surface, best-side down. Trim the sides to get a straight edge on the ends. Put some of the courgette filling in a line across the centre and roll up the pancake to make a tight parcel. Repeat with the other pancakes.
11. Place the filled pancakes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Brush with olive oil and bake for five minutes to heat through.
12. While the crepes are heating, heat some oil in a small frying pan and add the cherry tomatoes, chilli and capers. Season with salt and heat gently until the tomatoes soften. Just before serving, add a splash of water.
13. Serve two pancakes per portion with the warm salsa spooned over.