1½ tbsp olive oil
3 unsmoked streaky bacon rashers, chopped
12 shallots, peeled
6 chicken legs, skin removed
6 bone-in chicken thighs (650g), skin removed
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp brandy
600ml red wine
180ml chicken stock
2 tsp tomato purée
3 thyme sprigs
2 rosemary sprigs
2 bay leaves
For the mushrooms:
½ tbsp olive oil
Large knob of butter
250g chestnut mushrooms, halved if large
3 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp butter, softened
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole over a medium-high heat and cook the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the shallots to the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, until browned all over. Remove and set aside with the bacon.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry with kitchen paper. Pour the remaining oil into the pan, then brown the chicken pieces in two batches, turning regularly, for 6-8 minutes until well browned. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 30 seconds. Turn the heat to medium-high and pour in the brandy, scraping any sticky bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Return the chicken legs and thighs to the pan along with any juices on the plate, then pour in a splash of wine, scraping the bottom of the pan again. Stir in the rest of the wine with the stock and tomato purée. Add the thyme, rosemary and bay leaves and season.
- Return the bacon and shallots to the pan. Put on the lid, turn the heat to low and simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- About ten minutes before you’re ready to serve, heat the oil and butter for the mushrooms in a large non-stick pan over a high heat and cook the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes until golden. Remove and keep warm.
- Lift the chicken, shallots and bacon from the pan and transfer to a warmed serving dish. Discard the herbs.
- To thicken the sauce, mix the flour and butter in a small bowl using the back of a teaspoon.
- Bring the wine mixture to a gentle boil, then gradually add the flour and butter paste, whisking all the time until the sauce has thickened. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the chicken on a serving platter and add the mushrooms. Pour over the wine sauce and serve with floury baked potatoes.
Per serving: 449kcals, 20g fat (7.1g saturated), 8.2g carbs, 0.9g sugars, 39.9g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.374g sodium