Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Season the oxtail pieces with salt and pepper, then dust with flour. Heat the lard or olive oil in a heavy pan over a medium-high heat and brown the oxtail pieces on all sides, working in batches to avoid crowding the pan. Transfer to a plate and set aside
- In the same pan over a medium heat, cook the pancetta, onion, chopped celery stalk, carrot and garlic for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the cinnamon, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and tomato purée and cook for one minute, stirring. Pour in the red wine and allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes, scraping up any sticky bits from the bottom using a wooden spoon.
- Return the oxtail to the pan and let the wine reduce by half. Add the tinned tomatoes, remaining celery and enough beef stock to cover the oxtail.
- Cover with a lid and simmer over a low heat for 3-4 hours until the meat is falling away from the bones. Check on it occasionally, adding more stock if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the cocoa powder. Discard the cinnamon, bay leaves and rosemary and thyme stalks.
- Serve the oxtail stew over cooked polenta. Scatter with the raisins, pine nuts and the reserved celery leaves.
Per Serving: 623kcals, 37.3g fat (13.8g saturated), 7.9g carbs (3.7g sugars), 57.2g protein, 1.8g fibre, 0.919g sodium
Popular in Italian
Spaghetti with lemon and chilli crabmeat