Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the ganache:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line two 17cm cake tins with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, water, vanilla, peppermint and golden syrup.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until evenly combined. Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool the cakes in the tins for 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the ganache, melt the oil and chocolate together in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water.
- When melted, remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the golden syrup, water, salt, vanilla and peppermint. Continue whisking until the water is completely incorporated and the mixture has thickened. Allow to sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes until thickened, whisking occasionally. When ready to use, beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Use the ganache to cover the tops of both chocolate sponge layers. Place one on top of the other, then use the remaining ganache to coat the sides of the cake. Decorate as desired and serve.
Per Serving 654kcals, 38.9g fat (11.3g saturated), 74.9g carbs, 13.6g sugars, 5.4g protein, 3.6g fibre, 0.363g sodium
Gluten-freeCakesDairy-freeChristmasSweet thingsChocolateSpecial OccasionsFree-from treatsBakingDinner partyMake it Healthy
Popular in Gluten-free
Roast leg of lamb with spring vegetables