For the loaf:
175g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1pinch of salt
2 tbsp milk
1 orange, zest
2-3drops of orange food colouring
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp brewed coffee, cooled
For the topping:
100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
150ml double cream
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 orange, zest
4-6 fondant pumpkins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 900g loaf tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour and salt and mix until just combined.
- Divide the cake mixture between two bowls. To one of the bowls, add the milk, orange zest and orange food colouring. Fold until just mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and coffee to form a paste. Stir this into the second bowl of cake mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Add large spoonfuls of each mixture into the prepared tin, alternating flavours to give a marble affect.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes, then remove it from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the topping, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a saucepan, combine the cream, sugar and orange zest. Bring to a simmer, stirring continuously until the sugar has melted.
- Bring to the boil, then immediately pour over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Allow to cool for 5-6 minutes before spreading it on top of the loaf. Decorate with some fondant pumpkins (see tip).
Per Serving: 507kcals, 30.7g fat (18.9g saturated), 53.6g carbs (30g sugars), 6.9g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.188g sodium
To make the fondant pumpkins, roll a small piece of orange fondant into a little ball. Press the pumpkin down a little bit so that it’s not perfectly round. Very lightly wet the bottom of the vine and put it in the indentation on the top of the pumpkin. Color a little fondant brown and make a small stem that’ll fit in your pumpkins.